Sportworks Northwest is an industry-leading manufacturer of commercial bicycle infrastructure products. Our bike racks for buses enjoy wide acceptance, they transport more than 2 million bikes per month worldwide, while our innovative bike parking products continue to push the industry forward. We also manufacture complex assemblies for a variety of contract customers who are leaders and innovators in their own industries.
We have an immediate opening for a Director level position that will help shape and grow our organization for years to come. Our current Director is retiring after 20 years at Sportworks.
The Director of Engineering will plan, organize, and direct engineering functions to meet company objectives for design, new product development, and product release, as well as improvement to existing product lines. The position will also manage all manufacturing engineering functions to support production operations including tool design and tool fabrication. This position will manage all employees of the engineering department and will be responsible for performance and management within that department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, determine, and implement policies, procedures, standards, and programs that support uniform and efficient creation and delivery of engineering assets.
- Prioritize, assign, and oversee all engineering projects based on corporate priorities.
- Prepare and present performance reports, data and analysis to inform management of current status of active projects.
- Work collaboratively with product management and marketing to develop new product introduction plan. Participate in analysis of newly identified market and customer needs, and in creation of conceptual solutions.
- Select, develop, train and supervise engineering staff.
- Working with the manufacturing, operations and quality managers, review and monitor manufacturing process quality, and initiate process improvements.
- Adopt lean manufacturing concepts to eliminate waste and improve overall product quality, manufacturing capability and processes.
- Ensure early review and solicitation of feedback on manufacturing process approach and methods for new products.
- Continually evolve and integrate CAD data, ERP data, and ECO process with efficiency and consistency as primary goals.
- Oversee all manufacturing tooling design, codify best practices and standards in tool design.
- Oversee facility infrastructure improvements, participate in capital equipment purchase decisions, and oversee major machine repairs.
- Direct review and improvement of product cost and product quality.
- Drive engineering annual plan and budget, including staffing, technology initiatives, and facility and equipment enhancements.
- Foster a culture of learning relevant to Sportworks, and career progression for managed staff.
- Interface with strategic customers and attend key trade shows as required.
- Oversee new product qualification and field testing to ensure adequate risk mitigation prior to product launch.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with engineering management at key customers.
- 3D CAD experience, preferably Autodesk Inventor. CAD and engineering data management.
- Good hands-on mechanical aptitude.
- Good spatial geometry and 3D geometry visualization.
- In depth experience with fabricated metal and plastic products.
- Experience with the full product life-cycle including product development, testing, and release to manufacturing.
- Project Management.
- Staff Management.
- Technical Competency.
- Communications Proficiency.
- Financial Management.
Required Education and Experience:
- BS Mechanical Engineering.
- Relevant engineering management and program management experience.
- Track record of successful engineering process creation and implementation.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer match
- Discretionary bonus program
- Outdoor industry purchase program
- Athletic club membership discount
Sportworks employees enjoy our casual work environment, emphasis on work-life balance, and working alongside others who share a passion for the active lifestyle available in the Puget Sound region. More information about Sportworks is available at https://www.sportworks.com/about-sportworks.
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you heard about this opening. Please note that we are not accepting inquiries from agencies or recruiters for this position.