Title: Senior Tool Room Machinist
Job Category: Hourly, Full Time Non-Exempt
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Sportworks Northwest is an industry-leading manufacturer of commercial bicycle transportation and infrastructure products. Our bike racks for buses and railcars enjoy wide acceptance, and transport more than two million bikes per month worldwide. Our innovative bike parking products continue to push the industry forward and are a major source of corporate growth. We also manufacture complex assemblies for a variety of contract customers who are leaders and innovators in their own industries.
We have an immediate need for a Senior Tool Room Machinist who has aptitude for tool fabrication and use, and to provide production engineering support for all our lines of business. This position is expected to fully fabricate complex tooling, including setup, and to provide operational training for those tools. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent initiative and accountability, working with minimal supervision to support both new products and existing processes.
- Machinist/Tool Maker or equivalent training
- 3 – 5 years of custom machining or tool room experience or equivalent
- Reviews tool designs
- Constructs, or repairs, a wide variety of highly intricate and complicated tools, dies, jigs, gauges, and fixtures to close tolerances
- Performs tool room machine operations including, manual mill, horizontal lathe, surface grinding, and sawing. Works from complicated drawings and sketches
- Applies shop mathematics and all is familiar with most types of precision measuring instruments
- Good hands-on mechanical aptitude
- Good spatial geometry or 3D geometry visualization
- Excellent drawing reading skills
- Experience with fabricated metal, machined, and plastic parts and assemblies
- Experience with manufacturing processes, tool design, and tool fabrication
- Good understanding of machining practices, speeds and feeds, cutter types, material types and heat treat conditions
- Experience maintaining and repairing production machines is a strong plus, to include hydraulic and pneumatic presses, tube benders, milling machines, saws, and robotics
- Experience fabricating tooling for welded assemblies, tube bending, metal forming and stamping, sawing, laser cutting, and other metal fabrication processes
- Familiar with computers, experience with 3D CAD is good, preferably Autodesk Inventor
- Experience with machine controls using relays, PLC, and PC, integrating hydraulics, pneumatics and motors into tool designs when applicable is a plus
- Experience with CNC programming, tube bending, punch press, metal forming and robotic system experience
- Exposure to lean manufacturing
Key Job Skills and Traits dependent on experience:
- Experience using saws, manual mills, lathe and surface grinder
- Welding experience, a plus
- Strong customer service orientation
- Interacts professionally with internal customers
- Ability to implement all aspects of a manufacturing process
- Ability to keep organized and keep projects moving during repetitive requests for support from manufacturing or other departments
- Maintain tool room inventory of common hardware and materials
- Ability to setup, train and trouble shoot manufacturing processes
- Coordinate first articles for new tooling and process and provide production training.
- Coordinate process improvements as necessary
- Determine tooling requirements and provide cost estimates
- Estimate process cycle times
- Consult with product designers to optimize design for manufacturing
- Support ongoing operations by troubleshooting and solving production problems
- Monitor and coordinate improvements to production equipment including mills, drills, saws, presses, benders, MIG & TIG welders, and the shield gas distribution system
- Assist maintenance personnel performing complex repair and maintenance as needed on production equipment. This may include electrical or electronic trouble shooting
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer match
- Discretionary bonus program
- Outdoor industry purchase program
- Athletic club membership discount
Sportworks employees enjoy our casual work environment, emphasis on work-life balance, and working alongside others who share a passion for the active lifestyle available in the Puget Sound region. Read more about Sportworks.
To apply, please send an email with the subject “Senior Tool Room Machinist” to firstname.lastname@example.org, attach your resume, and include a cover letter that explains why are you are interested and how you originally heard about the position.
Please note that we are not accepting inquiries from agencies or recruiters for this position.