Over the past last year, bicycle sales exploded with the pandemic spurring an unprecedented demand for outdoor recreation and alternative forms of transportation compatible with social distancing. Seemingly overnight, E-bikes became an essential form of transportation for many people in North America. We have witnessed a growing demand for information regarding the safe transportation of E-bikes on transit vehicles.
While every transit authority will develop its own localized strategy and policy regarding E-bikes, Sportworks bicycle racks are optimized to support a variety of bicycles. Here are the factors that you need to know to ensure safe transportation of E-bikes:
- Bicycle Weight: E-bikes are often heavier than their non-electric counterparts. All Sportworks racks support up to 55lbs per position, supporting a wide range of bicycles.
- Tire Width: Many E-bikes have wider tires, therefore the rack must be able to accommodate the additional width. Sportwork’s Apex racks can be equipped with standard trays to accommodate tire widths up to 3.25"; and fat tire trays to support tire widths up to 5.5”. By comparison, standard racks, (including Sportwork’s DL2 and Trilogy racks) accommodate bicycle tire widths up to 2.3".
- Wheelbase: Longer wheelbases are another characteristic of E-bikes that require consideration. Apex racks support wheelbases up to 48" with DL2 and Trilogy models accommodating wheelbases up to 44".
- Flexibility: Apex racks can easily be retrofit with the fat tire trays to accommodate E-bikes and can be customized to fit the needs of your riders – Apex 3 racks can accommodate one, two or three fat tire trays. Fat tire trays are perfectly suitable for standard bicycles as well, for full flexibility.
- Protecting Rider’s Investments: Sportworks racks are designed and manufactured by cyclists and bicycle enthusiasts who prioritize damage-free transport. The unique configuration developed by Sportworks prevents bicycle to bicycle entanglement and allows for easy loading and removal. Riders will be confident that their E-bike investment is safe and secure — and route delays caused by bicycle securement and removal will be minimized.
As E-bikes continue to grow in popularity, it will be increasingly beneficial for public transit vehicles to support them as a long-term strategy towards increased mobility. Communicating to riders what the capabilities and compatibility of E-bikes on-board is critical to ensuring a safe and efficient ride.
Click here to download a PDF of the Sportworks E-Bike infographic pictured to the left